Friday, September 14, 2018

My Grandfather Was A Heartthrob



My grandfather was a Filipino mestizo. (His father a Spanish, his mother a mestiza.)  They say he was good looking. ( He died years before I was born and no pictures of him, so, I have no proof of such claim. ) Maybe, he was really good looking as he was able to convince his first wife to elope. His first wife was a Villalon from Cebu. He had two daughters (with her) named Rita, and Adoracion, both were gorgeous even in their old age. His first wife died in my grandfather's hometown without even getting back to her roots in Cebu. I assume her family had disowned her because of my grandfather. (Never know that love stories of old people were like romantic stories in novels.) 

Then, after the death of his first wife, my grandfather had pursued a Brillantes (a mestiza whose lineage I believe has the 'gift'). He was turned down many times, yet his persistence paid off and they had many children. But, his second wife died too (before my father, their youngest, can say anything intelligible). He did not marry after that.

From my grandfather's children, my father was close to his two older sisters, Rita and Adoracion. Both sisters were also my mother's refuge. My aunt Rita passed away many years ago. I used to pester her with many questions when I was a kid.

My aunt Adoracion passed away 3 days ago at 92. I really don't know if  it matters anymore to my aunt's remaining sons and daughter, but, I do pray and hope that they can reconnect with the descendants of the mother of my aunt. For what? For healing of past wounds.

Life is too short to stay wounded.






No comments:

Post a Comment